What is Flash SMS?
This is yet another unique service that only OmaxHost offers. FlashSMS automatically makes a regular text message appear on the recipient’s mobile phone screen rather than being delivered in the normal way to the inbox.
FlashSMS is a normal SMS text message that pops up or “flashes” in your friends and family’s mobile phone screens and it is not stored in your mobile SMS inbox.
It’s another cool, fun way to stay close with your loved ones.
Flash SMS is an SMS message which is displayed on the phone screen immediately upon arrival. These messages will be shown on the screen instead of arriving at the inbox. In this way if the recipient does not choose to save the Flash SMS, it will disappear after navigating away and will not be saved in the inbox. Please beware that if several Flash SMS messages are sent to one phone, only the latter message will be displayed, and all the previous ones will be overwritten.
Flash SMS can be a handy alternative to standard SMS messages when you want to catch the attention of the recipient(s) immediately. After viewing Flash SMS messages, usually the recipient has the option to save the Flash SMS to the inbox of the device. All mobile phones can normally receive Flash SMS messages.
Flash SMS message is a class 0 message, which means that it is classified as most important. When arrived, the user does not have to press a button to view it, because it will automatically appear. Here are the lists of SMS classes that identify the importance of an SMS message, as well as the location where it will be stored:
- Class 0: This message is displayed on the mobile phone immediately and a message delivery report is sent back to the SC. The message does not have to be saved in the mobile phone or on the SIM card (unless selected to do so by the mobile user). This type is also referred to as Flash SMS.
- Class 1 SMS: This message is stored in the memory of the mobile phone or the SIM card (depending on memory availability).
- Class 2 SMS: This message class is Phase 2-specific and carries SIM card data. The SIM card data must be successfully transferred prior to sending acknowledgment to the SC. An error message is sent to the SC if this transmission is not possible.
- Class 3 SMS: This message is forwarded from the receiving entity to an external device. The delivery acknowledgment is sent to the SC regardless of whether or not the message was forwarded to the external device.
How does it work?
Simply enter (*) -star sign- at the beginning of the text message and it will be sent as a Flash SMS.
For example: *Welcome to OmaxHost
How to send a Flash SMS on a GSM modem
AT commands are used on the computer to instruct a GSM modem to send a Flash SMS from a computer. The following command set is a typical AT Command that instructs a GSM modem to send SMS messages:
The first parameter (17), stands for: <fo>, the second: <vp> (validity period), the third: <pid> (level of protocol). The last parameter is: <dcs>, respectively, and it stands for indicating whether flash SMS is intended to be sent. For Flash SMS, the <dcs> parameter must be set to 16.
How much does it cost?
The price of sending Flash SMS is higher than normal rate SMS messages. This price, however varies among network carriers.
Generally, most network providers allow Flash SMS messages to be sent. However currently there are no possibilities to send Flash SMS in the USA.
As mentioned above, Flash SMS can be sent from a PC, using a GSM modem by instructing it through AT Commands. However, Flash SMS can also be sent with mobile phones. For example, Flash SMS works on the following phones:
- Nokia: 3210, 3310, 3330, 5110, 5130, 6110, 6130, 6150, 6210, 6250, 7110, 7650, 8210, 8310, 8850, 8890, 9110/i, 9210/i, 8110/i and 8810.
- Samsung: R220, N620, SGH-2400
- Siemens: S40
However, more recent phones can also send them with an additional application that is installed on the mobile phone.
FlashSMS is available for all OmaxHost customers and messages can be sent in Arabic or English to any local or international number at normal SMS rates.
For more information, please call our Customer Service team on 01735-314151 or visit your nearest OmaxHost store.